Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Weeks

Week 7:
Something has changed
I can’t describe it
I just feel different
I know something is wrong

Week 9:
I’m screaming
I’m crying
Why is this happening to me
I’m angry
I’m so not alive

Week 10:
I cannot deny this void
This void of emptyness that has been carved inside my heart
That every morning when I wake,
My chest hurts to know that I will never hold you in my arms

I struggle.

I struggle to face the cold reality
that you are gone.
That I will never hold your little fingers
perhaps you never had any?
I may never be able to touch your skin,
or see those eyes that never formed?
That every night I stayed up worrying
Occurred
And yet in vain

Slowly…

Slowly my stomach has lost its volume
And yet you still lie inside me
But Dead.

Yes perhaps I’m crazy
Life in America is defined upon entering the great big world of oxygen, pain, and injustice

But this wasn’t a mistake
An unplanned occurance
An unexpected miracle
A mishap
I was counting on you living
I intended you to be
And yet life has shown me otherwise
You can’t plan life; It happens

Week 10: the blood from my veins continues to be drawn
HCG, slowly gone

Week 11: New nurse
“How you doing today?” “Looks like someone is having a baby!”
But I can’t hear or maybe I just don’t want to
I shrug my head and begin to explain
“No, I’m having a miscarriage
The baby is still inside me
But there’s no heart beat”
My heart also stops beating at the sound of my own words

Week 12: you are supposed to be an inch an a half long
I want to unsubscribe from the babycenter
You know that site
That site I so excitedly signed up for
Which sent me weekly updates about your growth
Weekly updates

The weeks continue to go by
My breasts have disinflated like day old balloons after a party
The weeks continue to go by
I know I will never forget you
September was your due date
The weeks continue to go by

Week 17: your fragile body finally exits me
The excrutiating pain
And yet no more tears
Blood rushing down my legs
I don’t want to look at him
my husband, the man whose hurting too
I feel ashamed
I don’t want to see him cry
His strong arms hold me and tell me it will be okay
I know he is hurting too
I know he is hurting too

The weeks go by
You are now in my freezer
I can’t flush you away
The only thing I wish to flush away is the weeks that took you from me

It’s over
The weeks are over
And yet continue to go by

I worried about what kind of crib you would have
What colors I would paint the walls of your room
Little did I know that the toughest choice I would make would be what kind of plant you would die in

Good bye my love
Goodbye my baby
The weeks will continue to go by
But my love for you

Will live forever.

3 comments:

  1. Your feeling show through your words Angeles! Very beautiful my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh shit - I didn't know this happened to you and Ray. My thoughts go out to you - my wife and I have been trying for over a year to have a baby - and I can't imagine what we'd feel like if we lost one....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Elliot! my thoughts go out to you as well...wish you both the best!

    ReplyDelete